Inicio

Upcoming Events

There are no Upcoming Events

Distribuir contenido

Guild structure suggestions and discussion

179 respuestas [Último envío]
Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

I would like to see a Newsletter go out as soon as possible. But that is up to those assembling it.

A reminder to folks - the Newsletter will not write itself. Write a few brief paragraphs about a story you would like to see in it. Discussion about the content for the April Newsletter is here. I was a wimp just sticking "1. Rel.to" into a message; I need to site down and write what I want the Newsletter to actually say. So, I will be doing that.

Lynnutte also posted in a separate topic about human interest or spotlight on an explorer articles. Lynnutte is willing to conduct an interview with SuperGram for Issue 2... but she could use additional questions to ask. Please contribute if you have any ideas.

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Oct 29 2007

The job descriptions discussed so far pan pretty much with what I thought they would. However, in my opinion, the "council" (again, for lack of a better term), will also need to accomplish some tasks as a group. I'd like to see it:

Define CLEAR and SPECIFIC goals for the Guild, both short- and long-term
Define strategies to reach those goals
Assign these tasks to committees, under the leadership of Chairs
Keep in contact with the members of their committee carrying out these tasks, so that problems can be troubleshot before they grow

I agree with Blade that GoMe isn't really doing anything right now, so we need to figure out pretty fast what it is we need to be doing (and how best to do it).

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

Ok. First thing I would like to so, since it is very simple, is to decide if we are a council, consortium, or circle of idiots. I don't care what we call ourselves. Let's just pick a term and stick with it. Then we need to finish voting for the chair positions. After that, we will be better able to decide direction. How can you know where your going if you don't know who's driving?
As for a long term goal for the Guild, I would like to see us be the ones people turn to for news and happenings outside the cavern. To do this, we need to find out what guilds are still functioning, how they are functioning and who will be willing to be a liason between our two groups. After that is established, we need to get a commitment from them to, at least once a month, let us know what they are up to and what they want us to report. I need to contact all the affiliate groups and see what they are up to and see if I can get a similar commitment from them. We really can't decide what each chair is doing until we find out who is filling those chairs. We need to finish building our foundation NOW. before we attempt anything else. At least that's how I see it.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

BladeLakem
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 1 2007

Yup, having people in positions is critical. It looks like Marten can get the vote started this weekend.

In the meantime, can those who run services or already have liaison duties begin working on their areas now? Gathering information, formulating cunning plans, etc? Let's start talking about what to do with the Relayers, for instance. Let's talk about a website revamp, or a forum revamp, etc. Start putting the questions up and staring the conversations right now.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

---------------------------------
The following positions are elected:
---------------------------------

Guild Master/Mistress - Marten
Elected by all active guild members

Affiliates Chair - Lynnutte
Elected from the Affiliate heads
- The Cavern Today representative - Anthony
- - - TCT team
- Cavern Communications Network representative - Altydwarber
- - - CCN team
- Relayers & Criers representative - Lynnutte
- - - Relayers team
- - - Criers team
- URU Radio representative - Samsbase
- - - URU Radio team

---------------------------------
The following positions need to be filled:
---------------------------------

Services Chair - [Eligible: Shimmerillion, Lial, Blade]
Elected from the Project heads
- Newsletter - Lynnutte
- - - Newsletter team
- Rel.to - Marten
- - - Rel.to team
- Messengers website - Shimmerillion
- - - Website team
- Calendar - Lial
- - - Calendar team
- RSS Feeds - Blade Lakem
- - - RSS Feeds team

Liason Chair - [Eligible: Kerryth, Nanouk, Szark]
Elected from the Liasons
- Guild of Writers Liason - Marten
- Guild of Maintainers Liason - Kerryth
- BeyondUru Liason - (Crier)_Nanouk
- MOUL Forums Liason - Szark

Membership/Reporters Chair [Eligible: By nomination or volunteer]
Elected by all active guild members
- Reporters

---------------------------------
Purpose of the Guild of Messengers Guild Master/Mistress and Chairs
---------------------------------

The role of the Guild Master or Guild Mistress is to provide enthusiasm and direction for the Guild. The wise leader will listen to the members of the group, will keep abreast of developments within and without the guild to identify the best course for the group, and will work to mediate when disagreements arise (stay neutral whenever possible).

The role of each Chair position is to represent your peers, to keep other members of the Guild aware of the work done within your group, to seek help for your group when needed, and to delegate or assume responsiblity within your group when needed.

When the Guild decides to take an action, the Chairs and Guild Master or Mistress will have the authority to make decisions in a timely and effective manner; such decisions may not involve the direct input of all guild members, but all decisions shall be made with the needs of our guild members and the community that we serve in mind.

Examples of Responsibility:
- If the Guild Master or Mistress cannot attend a Guild meeting or will be away for a time, he or she shall delegate responsibility to another member of the Guild who is not presently in an elected position.
- A Chair who cannot attend a Guild meeting or who will be away for a time shall delegate responsibility to another member of his or her represented group.
- A Chair shall assist or delegate responsibilities for another member of his or her group when that member asks for assistance
- A Chair shall proactively seek out any type of information sought by members of his or her group.

Please discuss.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

Is URU radio still up and running? I just looked at the website and the last thing posted was back in November.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Since the chair position it affects is already elected, unless samsbase appears in the next week and files an objection, it doesn't really matter. Although as Chair of that group, it'll be your job to try to track him down and ask him that question directly.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

:roll: Isn't that wonderful for me. I'll get out my bloodhounds and try to track him down. :lol:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Marten, I think that's a good rationale for the chairs, and definitely enough to be going on with.

BladeLakem
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 1 2007

/thumbsup

Do we start voting?

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

We need to find out if there is anyone eligible for a position who does not want that position. And, I also want to give my above comments a few days to discuss. I don't want to overthink it... but I don't want to underthink it either.

I've rethought the schedule just a little and came up with this:

At this time, feel free to nominate or volunteer for the Reporter Chair position, but understand this position will be filled last, and anyone who is elected into one of the other two Chair positions will become ineligible for this one.

Monday I will send PMs out to those who are eligible for the Chair positions, to ensure they know they are on the ballot. For example, I want Lial to have an opportunity to review what we've said these positions are about, and to decide if she wants to be include as a nominee for any of them.

Tuesday voting will begin.

Over the week, if all votes for a position are in before Sunday, results for that position will be announced; this will hopefully give us time to resolve any ties with a re-vote.

Sunday the 20th, voting will be complete.

Reflecting upon what I wrote yesterday, I already see the potential for confusion in one spot that I would like to clarify. This highlights precisely why I want a little time to discuss these things.

Italics are original, bold is added.
The role of the Guild Master or Guild Mistress is to provide enthusiasm and direction for the Guild. The wise leader will listen to the members of the group, will keep abreast of developments within and without the guild to identify the best course for the group, and will work to mediate when disagreements arise (stay neutral whenever possible). When casting a tie-breaking vote, he or she shall do so by considering the options objectively an without bias. If the Guild Master or Mistress suffers a conflict of interest for a vote, the four chairs will agree (3:1 or 4:0) upon an alternative person to cast the fifth vote.

Reasoning: Suppose that another individual or group wanted to contribute a service to GoMe that was similar to Rel.to. My interests for Rel.to will be represented by the Services Chair. I might say to him or her, "Rel.to is a band-aid for the fracturing in our commnity; having multiple Rel.to-like services is contradictory to its mission." Let us suppose in this situation that one other Chair is against bringing in the new service... and two Chairs prefer to embrace any part of the community that wants to help, and not risk driving anyone away by telling them that their idea is unnecessary. In this situation, as Guild Master, I would have a conflict of interest. It would be better in such a case for the four chairs to delegate my tie-breaking vote to an agreed-upon individual.

I don't believe we need a lengthy code of conduct or ethics. But this is one spot where I feel the position description may benefit from touching upon that sort of thing.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

I think that's a good idea Marten. I would also suggest that it is the GM's job to decide when and where we should have meetings. If a chair person thinks we need to have a meeting, they should approach the GM about arranging it.
I also contacted Samsbase. He is still has everything ready to go, but feel he can't do anything until there is news. I invited him to come help us out. We will see what he says. :D
UPDATE: He wants to know what kind of help we need. Any suggestions?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

@ Lyn

Just cause there's a lack of news doesn't mean he can't do anything. TCT survived UU without any substantial 'news'

Could Ururadio be some sort of 'official' round table format? I mean, TCT has always done discussions about issues using personalities within the group, with the only official interviews being with Cyan. What if UruRadio was round tables with official reps from the various Guilds/forums/groups about specific issues? Just a thought

@ Marten

I think everyone in the Guild, (plus perhaps the community as well), should send a nominatation for the Reporters chair (but not mandatory for the community). Would we be pm'ing those to you, or something?

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

I don't believe we can require everyone in the guild to place nominations. But, I'm happy to say "I encourage it."

There is no reason to keep nominations secret; when we met on April 5, nominations were made in the open. "I nominate
." So, feel free to place nominations in this thread.

Re: Samsbase, he could talk about the bahro sightings on the last day... he saw some himself, apparently.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Well, I reckon anyone here at the Guild would be good in that 5 seat. I suppose a better question is, is there anyone who DOESN'T want to be nominated for the Reporter's chair?

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

/me

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

I will pass theser suggestions onto him, but I think he wanted to know, what role in the GOMe he could fill. I may have miss understood, but I don't think so.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Well, I guess we're always just looking for people to be on the watch for news, people who can contribute ideas, services/programming.

Of course, our motto probably applies here. IF he can think of some way in which he can help out, and its relevant, he's probably more than welcome to give it a swing himself.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Formal Discussion of the Chair Position Jobs is now closed. Additional discussion can continue, but we're moving on to the next step.

I 've sent PMs to the eligible persons for the two specific Chair positions. I've noticed that nobody has stepped up to volunteer, or to nominate anyone, for the Reporters Chair position, so I have nobody to notify about that, yet.

I am nominating Narym for the Reporters Chair position.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008

As previously stated, I would like to have my name removed from the Liaison's eligible nominee list. (or from any other Chair's position :wink:)
Main reason: I am still struggling, just trying to figure out how, you people work. Forums included. :mrgreen:

Btw, in Marten's pm, the link to the jobs description was not working.

Thanks,
Nanouk


Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Oh good grief.. :oops:

Well, ok. I guess I accept the nomination...

But in turn, I would like to nominate Blade, as well :P

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

I would like to nominated Kerryth for Reporters Chair position.
Szark

Quote:
Btw, in Marten's pm, the link to the jobs description was not working

Nanouk this thread page 3 is the place.

Quote:
Main reason: I am still struggling, just trying to figure out how, you people work. Forums included.

and so are we. When we get these positions sorted then we can sort ourselves out. A point to consider Nanouk, we are all in the same boat. New guild, different problems and with the small work force that we have it is going to take a bit longer. I am not sure of myself about being nonmiated but one thing I have learnt that nothing ventured is nothing gained. The trick is not to take to much on.
Szark

shimmerillion
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Oct 29 2007

Ok, so how do we vote?

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

How voting will work

Marten wrote:
Thend has agreed to be impartial vote handler for the remaining chair positions. He has not committed to handling anything beyond that. He would like to handle things in this way: At the MOUL forum, I will send Thend a PM listing who is eligible to vote for which position, and who are the allowed holders for those positions. Thend will collect votes through PMs at the MOUL forum.

Thend will collect votes at the Myst Online Forum, through PMs, up to Sunday night. If all eligible votes are received for a position, I hope to have that position announced earlier than waiting until Sunday; that could give us the opportunity to let people re-cast votes on the Reporters' chair position if they had voted for someone who gets elected into a different Chair position. In other words, the period through Sunday gives us the opportunity to conduct run-offs if necessary.

At our April 5 meeting, we had a rule that people should not vote for themselves. So, that rule also continues to apply, and Thend will be made aware of it.

If anyone here does NOT have an account at the MOUL forums, then... um.... get one already. :lol:

BladeLakem
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 1 2007

I nominate Szark ;)

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

/Doh

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

lol you don't have to accept, Szark :P

So does that mean we can vote now?

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Yes, voting is now going. Blade and Narym are the nominees for the Reporters chair, although others can still be nominated.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

I thought Szark nominated Kerryth for the reporters chair too.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008
Quote:
I thought Szark nominated Kerryth for the reporters chair too.

Yep 1 page and 8 posts back. See what I mean about missing things. nanana :twisted: :lol:
Szark